Within KiSOC, we examine the central objectives of the overall project in individual research projects. The doctoral projects of the currently eleven doctoral students form a focal point. In addition, there are the projects of the junior research group and associated projects.
These projects focus on comparative studies concerning the design and impact of different outreach media. The works also investigate their combination depending on factors such as previous knowledge and attitudes on the part of the recipients or design factors on the part of media. Perception processes with regard to emotional, affective and cognitive effects are recorded. This is done in observational and think-aloud studies, by means of surveys and physiological measures.
In the projects both classical media such as texts or hands-on experiments as well as multimedia digital media such as videos, virtual and augmented realities or immersive media are analysed. The designs are (quasi-)experimental and compare or vary individual factors such as text genres, virtual media or representations in exhibits.
- Texts as outreach materials
- Effect of immersive media using nanotechnology as an example
- The role of mathematics in scientific exhibitions
- Experiment and simulation - Interaction of scientific working methods
- Knowledge transfer in archaeology. A study on the communication of current research content through multimedia learning environments
Diese Projekte betrachten nicht ein isoliertes Outreachmedium, sondern Effekte komplexerer Designs wie Ausstellungen oder Angebote im Schülerlabor. Im Fokus der Arbeiten steht die Untersuchung von Voraussetzungen und Prozessen auf Seiten der Adressaten für eine Realisierung und Optimierung der intendierten Ziele durch das Gesamtkonzept und deren Designprinzipien.
In diese Anlage einer Evaluationsforschung sind Design-Parameter eingebunden, die auf Basis des jeweiligen Forschungsstands Wirkungen gezielter erreichen lassen. Hierzu zählt beispielsweise der Einbau von Reflexionsaufgaben oder Prompts. Die Untersuchungen erfolgen im Feld und beachten damit die ökologische Validität der Befunde.
- Searching for resistance - Epistemic beliefs in connection with out-of-school learning
- Effectiveness of the preparation and follow-up of school visits to the student laboratory aiming at fostering career perspectives
- Promoting “Energy Literacy” through an interactive exhibition
- Communicating agrobiodiversity through citizen science
- Responsible Research and Innovation – Further development of perceptions about medical research today
These research activities are projects of the Junior Research Group. Unlike the doctoral projects, which are primarily in the first two areas, these projects are devoted to research and to promoting the knowledge, attitudes and skills of communicators. The design of communication processes by various actors is also part of the research in this area.